Friday, July 14, 2017

Bit chilly

It seems to have been a cold winter this year. Diane and myself have had an email exchange about Melbourne's weather, as she recently 'had' to visit Melbourne and she found it a little chilly. Perhaps she said, 'bloody freezing. Why does anyone live there?'.

For winter I put on a jacket over my shirt to go out into the cold. I am a bit of an oddity. You will find many people in Melbourne wearing coats and wrapped in scarves with a hat or beanie upon their tete. I am never outside for too long in the cold. But I know we are going to have a killer electric bill from our air con heating. At times I am a stingy Scot, but heating and cooling are not areas where I scrimp and save.

A few years ago when staying at Sister and Bone Doctor's place, I took a light pullover and used it as they don't believe in heating and cooling. Well, minimal. It did not make much difference. I was still cold in their house. You will never be too cold or too hot in our home. Mother today, Thursday, told R that when she gets her granny flat in ABI Brother's back yard, she wants a gas heater to keep properly warm. She is not happy with her aircon heating. That would probably be because she sets it low and if she goes, out, she turns it off. Electric air con heating is the cheapest form of heating in Australia.

Little Jo has celebrated her tenth birthday in the much warmer climes of Queensland. She has held up a large mango, snorkeled with pretty coral and fish and joined in the celebration for her great grandmother's 90th birthday, on Bone Doctor's side in one of those towns starting with T. Townsville? Toowoomba? I can't remember. It is near the sea, so must be Townsville.

The 90 year old grandma of Bone Doctor just married for the umpteenth time about three years ago. She must be a bit of a card. I look forward to the goss about Bone Doctor's Super Gran on Sunday.

Yes, Sunday. We are going to Anakie Fairy Park for a family celebration of Little Jo's birthday. We were present when Little Jo was asked what she wanted to do for her birthday and she said she wanted to go there. It was mentioned to Oldest Niece and she and Little M were thrilled at the idea. Sister and I discussed it and it was decided it was weather dependant. It is going to be gorgeous mostly sunny 12 degrees on Sunday and only a 20% chance of rain. That means a chance of a shower. We are going and Sister is providing a picnic lunch. We meet there at 10.30.

This sort of thing has become all too hard for Mother. It is lucky if she has showered by 10.30, so she won't be there, and I guess not ABI Brother who normally brings her to social events.

Tradie Brother hopes to attend. Oldest Niece and Little M and Little Em will be there, maybe her partner. Obviously Sister and Bone Doctor and birthday girl Little Jo. Firefighting Nephew will join us. Ex Sis in Law will come, with her husband. Not sure about Hippie Niece. She is now living at Ex Sis in Law's place, out of the mental health care ward where everyone was worse than she is. It is was so tragic to see the former bright, beautiful and gabby niece looking bloated, badly dressed, black ringed eyed and dead looking Hippie Niece. How did it all go so wrong? The easiest twin is being looked after by her dad, the Islander bloke and Ex Sis in Law and Oldest Niece are looking after the other twin in turn.

I've been told there are eight beds in our State of Victoria for women with post natal depression. Six of them are practical for Hippie Niece. She is ninth on a wait list.

So with some glee, I am informing Diane that is will be a lovely mostly sunny 12 degree day here in Melbourne on Sunday. Hmm, I might just find that pullover I used a few a years ago at Sister's and make sure it doesn't smell musty. Err, yes 12, that is a bit chilly. Say 54 for your Farenheit folk.

26 comments:

  1. This has been an odd winter. It had a very, very gentle start but has been chilly for the last week or so. We are struggling to get to double digit temperatures by noon.
    Eight beds in Victoria for women with post natal depression? Hiss and spit. I hope Hippie Niece's turn comes soon.
    Enjoy your family Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it always seems odd that you being so much further north, that you weather in winter is colder than here.

      Delete
  2. Winter must be winter I suppose Andrew but I wish it would hurry up and move on to other climes!
    Having said that without the rain these cold nights have brought lovely sunny afternoons. Quite pleasant - almost 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cathy, there have been some very nice afternoons. Gosh we could do with some rain though.

      Delete
  3. Ulove the snippit into your family life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crikey Andrew ..... Mum loves all your family chat. She's all upset about Hippie niece now though. We've missed so much and didn't know about the post natal depression. I sure hope she can get some help real soon. Such a terrible thing for her and for those precious little bundles too, aye??
    Our little Jo turned 10 yesterday. She's having a party at our house tomorrow. Mum and our Jen are decorating her cake today. It sounds like your little Jo had a great birthday snorkelling and eating mangos, aye?? I don't think she would have been doing that were she in Toowoomba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. So your Jo turned 10 on the 13th. Ours turned 10 on the 11th. Quite right about Toowoomba. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I was about to say the same as Charliedownunder above. No doubt, Little Jo is in Townsville.

    I wonder where they found the mango? Aussie mangoes aren't available at this time of the year. It definitely isn't mango season, so she probably was holding one imported from The Philippines.Indonesia or Mexico etc.

    I don't use any form of heating. A jumper and warm trackie-dacks are all I need...and extra blanket on my bed. For me, I find it easy to get warm, but difficult to remain cool in summer. I have no cooling system, either, other than to not move around in a hurry in summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, the mango was one of those 'big' things, from memory does Bowen sound right? We could manage without heating as the building is quite warm and it helps when above and below heat their places. But we don't like to wear coats and scarves inside. I would die without cooling.

      Delete
    2. Bowen mangoes aka Kensington Pride are not in season this time of the year. I lived and worked up in that area for a few years. :)

      "The 'Kensington Pride' mango is a named commercial mango cultivar that originated in Australia. It is sometimes called the KP, Bowen or Bowen special. It is Australia's most popular mango, accounting for over 80% of the country's annual commercial mango market.

      In Australia, commercial Kensington Pride mangoes grow predominantly in the Northern Territory and northern and central Queensland, providing early (September–November) and late season (December–February) mangoes respectively.

      Some late-season fruit are from the Kununurra region in Western Australia.

      The original tree was grown in Bowen, Queensland and described in the 1960s, where it was also given the name "Pride of Bowen" and "Bowen Special".

      It was possibly brought to Bowen by traders who were shipping horses for military use in India."

      Delete
    3. Some interesting history, Lee. I hope you understood it was a Big Mango, like Coffs Big Banana. I don't eat mango too often but I remember seeing the name Kensington Pride on a sticky label.

      Delete
  6. Diane is quite correct about Melbourne in winter.. 2c colder than Sydney on average, 4c colder than Brisbane and 6c colder than Townsville. I loathe winter.

    But Melbourne (plus Adelaide and Perth) in summer are hotter than Sydney, Brisbane and Townsville. Even more importantly, Melbourne Adelaide and Perth are totally dry in summer while Sydney and all points north are stinkingly sweatier. High humidity is a killer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, winter does not normally trouble me, but I am finding it very cold this year. I too can't stand the humidity up north, or even our occasional bout of humidity.

      Delete
  7. You call 12 degrees gorgeous? Brr. I call it night time in winter with the bedroom heater on low, weather here in Brisbane. At the request of my arthritic joints, of course. My partner laughs at me, and lies above the doona in nowt but his boxers most nights. But he's a weirdo.

    I hope you all enjoy Little Jo's birthday celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rozzie, well no, not really. A heater in a bedroom! It would have to be very cold for me to have a direct heating in my bedroom. As I have said before, I am very hot in bed.

      Delete
  8. 12 is a bit chilly, but if the sun is shining and there is no wind, it shouldn't be too bad for you. Everyone else can rug up like Eskimos, I know I would. I like to layer up, so if I get too warm I can take things off, then when it cools I can get them back on again. it sounds like a lovely day has been planned and maybe Mother will make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, for once I will concede to the cold and wear something extra. I even have a beret, I think it is still here. No, Mother won't come. It is four hours driving for her and ABI Brother, there and back. Too much.

      Delete
  9. A sunny 12C day sounds like the perfect day to me Andrew, I haven't even had a chance to wear my new beanie with pompom yet and my coat with scarf only twice!I really hope things pick up for Hippie Niece, post natal depression must be dreadful. I'm sure Little Jo's picnic on Sunday will be fabulous fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your lovely new coat going unused, the look probably spoiled by a beanie with a pompom. Sadly things are not going well for Hippie Niece.

      Delete
  10. We have 12° sometimes in the summer, but then it warms up to 18 during the day. You could never live in Ireland, neither me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I couldn't, Gattina. Grey skies and constant rain would depress me.

      Delete
  11. We whinge that it is cold in Sydney but this week we have had several days in the 20ºc range and yet another one forecast for today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleasant, Victor. Oh that we could even get near 20 degrees.

      Delete
  12. according to an article I read the other day, we've had warmer than normal days and colder than normal nights and far less rain than normal.
    So sad to hear about HN. I really hope she's getting some help as this time is crucial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, in a way she is and it is promised that she will be bonded with her daughters, but the wait does no good at all.

      Delete