Friday, March 17, 2017

Fixing the blog and a flood

What a mess the Highriser blog got into this week. I forgot Wednesday Wonders and my Elwood Canal post was published early. I will see if I can get things in the right order at least.

At the 1:32 point in this video of the canal in flood you can see the viaduct that I photographed that allows the water to spread out far and wide. While this clearly helps, still it was a torrent of water going down the canal. The video was taken in December 2016 and oddly I can't remember a serious lot of rain nor news of the canal flooding. The real problem is that it drains such a large area very quickly and with many more paved surfaces now as against say twenty years ago when there was a lot more homes with grass lawns and more gardens, and bluestone paving with gaps for water to soak into, the flooding is probably worse.


Video by Terry C. I hope I have the publish date and time right this time. I believe the chap towards the end is former Port Phillip Mayor Dick Gross, a known bicycle rider.

20 comments:

  1. That is a lot of water! I don't have my speakers plugged in, they're in the other room and I'm sitting up in bed, so I didn't hear what he was saying. I'll listen later, when I'm home again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it was something like blah blah blah, if I correctly recall Dick Gross speaking.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a lot of water. And in a perverse sort of way it is beautiful. Which those who were affected would rightly disagree with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ec, indeed floods can be beautiful things to watch, but a heartbreaking experience for some.

      Delete
  3. For a country and a state with never really enough rain, the idea of torrents of water is strange. [Sydney is being flooded at the moment, but they always get double Melbourne's rainfall].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, they will be breeding a lot of cockroaches in Sydney. ...of droughts and flooding rains...

      Delete
  4. With snow melting fast here in North Idaho. Some area been hit with sink holes and flash flooding.
    Hope everyone can stay safe doesn't matter what part of world they may be at.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, so many sink holes in your country. What do they take out of the ground that makes it sink all the time?

      Delete
    2. I reckon it's the fracking.

      Delete
    3. River, I think you are quite correct.

      Delete
  5. Obviously was a swamp, shouldn't have house near or on it in my opinion, but it happens all the time in suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it has long been a problem and the area probably should not have houses built on it without more drainage. I worry about some new developments on swampland, but drainage does seem to be better now.

      Delete
  6. Wow that was high up to the bridge. Hope they fix it for the next torrential downpour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, after 9 or more decades of flooding, it is unlikely it will be fixed anytime soon.

      Delete
  7. Goodness I didn't mean that much water Andrew ☺ would be a lot scary living too close to the canal when flooding!Not a gondola in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, if there was a gondola on the canal, it would have been washed way out into Port Phillip Bay.

      Delete
  8. Well there's a lot of water flowing around there. Looks like people are dealing with, taking off shoes rolling up pants and wading through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I think it is a bit rare for serious flood damage to happen in Elwood, more an inconvenience. (why do I feel someone is going to come down on me like a ton of bricks about that statement)

      Delete
  9. It was a weekend that it hit, the boy and I were out in it dancing like fools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, like you I like storms and flooding rains, but not grey drizzly days.

      Delete