Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Grease is the Word

Thanks to very generous friends, we saw the musical Grease at Her Majesty's Theatre on Sunday night. It was an enjoyable production with many laughs. The performance was for 6pm, which is a very odd time for us as we usually have dinner between 7 and 8.

I had seen the film when it was first released back in (checking) oh, we won't go there. It was the last time I saw a film at a drive in theatre and shortly after the Toorak Drive In closed. Anyway, I remember little of the film, except John Travolta and Oliver Newton John dancing.



I knew Rob Mills was the male lead in this production. The female lead was Gretel Scarlett, unknown to me. I thought Lucy Maunder was ever so good as Rizzo and she was my fave.

Much to my surprise, veteran Bert Newton played a radio dj and judge of a dancing competition. Bert being Bert did not take the role too seriously. More to surprise, Val Lehman, best known as Bea Smith in the television show Prisoner (Cell Block H), played the school Head Mistress. Then there was the very cute Anthony Callea performing and a couple of appearances by singer, dancer and dancing show judge, Todd McKenney. He too did not take it too seriously and was very funny.

You can see more about the show at the website and check out the cast.There are some very attractive people (read hot guys) there.

We left the theatre around 8.20 and strolled to the ever manic China Town for dinner. None of us was overly hungry and so only had some light food. We were home by 9.40.

So that was my musical for the year, err maybe except for London.

23 comments:

  1. Bert being Bert is the problem. Bert is always being Bert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, he is pretty old now. Still working to pay his son's debts, no doubt.

      Delete
  2. What a treat. And how nice to have such generous friends. Can Bert Newton be anyone other than himself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, no he can't be anything else but Bert really. Yes, we were very surprised at the $140 ticket each gift. We had them here with family for Christmas dinner.

      Delete
  3. Well I took the beer fairy to the ballet last year what to do this year maybe this.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it was not one I would have paid to see, but it was enjoyable. There may well be something better to see this year.

      Delete
  4. Gosai, So it's nice to hear you are satisfied your Sunday trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, sometimes you don't want to be bothered to do things, but it is good if you make the effort.

      Delete
  5. Sorry but I always hated grease
    I was more a " fame" gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I just had a mental picture of you flinging your arm out as you sing Fame.

      Delete
  6. I've seen advertisements for Grease, but I don't think I'll go to see it. I have the movie and that's enough for me. Plus it has been shown on TV recently and l saw it then, just couldn't be bothered changing channels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes it is not something I would have chosen to see, but it was good. I noticed it was on tv.

      Delete
  7. My parents planned a serious musical education for me, so I was taken to see _every_ musical ever put on stage eg Oklahoma, South Pacific, Annie Oakleigh, Carousel etc etc.

    Alas my parents' dedication did not "take".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, your musical education was good, but it seems like me, you are not a big one for musicals.

      Delete
  8. I never was a huge fan of Grease. I must be the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either really Fen, but Travolta was pretty hot.

      Delete
    2. You are not the only one Fenstar. Although it has several enjoyable tunes Grease is otherwise a very slight musical indeed with not much plot and a few fill in time unmemorable songs.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a very pleasant evening all round Andrew.. I did enjoy the movie but I've never been a fan of shows where people sing at each other all the way through :) Bert Newton is amazing the way he just keeps on keeping on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is truly a wonder, Grace. I wonder what motivates him.

      Delete
  10. This is actually one of my favorite movies ever. I would love to see the play someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I think if you liked the movie, you will enjoy the play.

      Delete
  11. My Mia has requested to go see this musical. I was so pleased as she is a self confessed Tomboy and she tried so hard to look bored-out-of-her-brains when we went to see a couple of plays at the Williamstown Musical Theater last year. She will get a pleasant surprise March 19th when I hand the tickets to her. We will see Grease the Musical on 30th March :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cazzie, she will love it, I reckon. Let us know how it goes.

      Delete